Friday, October 26, 2007

Clubbing

As part of my final year of my Illustration degree in 1997, we were set an exam project, the brief being a single word: 'Energy'

I chose to illustrate this as a series of images of people dancing, in a club environment. I first created a group of characters using flexible wire, each formed from a single piece where possible. I then placed these inside a photocopier, the resulting black and white prints included shadows where the wire shapes were not flat against the scanner bed. I re-photocopied these images onto different coloured paper, at different sizes, and collaged them all together to form a crowded club scene. I finally blackened the background to highlight the individual characters and added coloured ink stains to give the impression of multicoloured lighting illuminating the faces in the dark.

Here are some of the individual figures which made up the final illlustration: